Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Unexpected Doctor's Visit

Today was a little weird.  While I was at work I began to feel as if I couldn't breathe.  That was eventually accompanied by dizziness, seeing spots, and my heart racing.  I called the doctor's office and spoke with a nurse who thought I should come in as soon as possible, just to make sure everything was okay.

When we got there the nurse checked all of my vitals and then went to check baby's heartbeat.  It was the first time we tried to check the heartbeat with a handheld device (all of the others up until now were done by ultrasound).  It was a little nerve racking because it took her what felt like ages to find the heartbeat....BUT....she did....finally, and baby's heartbeat was a strong 146 bpm!!!

After the nurse recorded everything we met with Brandi, one of the nurse practitioners.  Turns out my blood pressure was a little low, and I needed to eat more than I had been.  The theory is that my blood sugar and pressure was spiking and then crashing.  I need to make sure I eat 6 small meals throughout the day, with each one accompanied by protein.  Also, since I stand a lot at work, I need to make sure I take plenty of time to sit, and slowly change positions instead of jumping up from my chair.

All in all it was a good experience, we learned a lot about pregnancy nutrition and how to prevent high blood pressure and keep blood sugar steady.

No comments:

Post a Comment